Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stress...it never rains, but always pours

So many things have been happening at once, and I know that it isn't going to stop until we've moved. N. starts 1st grade next week, so we have been diligently reviewing things from last year, as well as covering some topics that I think he should know now, trying to get H. involved with some things, like learning his colors, more words, and counting. N. has soccer practice two nights a week, and games on Saturday mornings. Matt has been busy with trainings, and I just found out that on Tuesday that I won't be able to deliver Baby W. with the hospital and doctor we have planned, unless under special circumstance. We would have to deliver in Madison, a whole hour and a half drive away, and that is without factoring in traffic. ( Because, as you know, that worked out so well the last time we tried that route.)
    I'll start off with what is going on with the N.  I have come to realize that, weather it was the teacher, the school, or if we didn't make ourselves clear enough to about our concerns, but N. seems to be behind. So far this week, I've worked on counting 0-20( writing numbers out as well words), addition, money, counting by 2s, 5s, 10s, and 100s, calenders, sight words, beginning/middle/end of words, printing words and letters, as well as his own full name. Like I said, much of it is review, the exception being the counting by 2/5/10/100, calenders, and money. I really regret just not doing a school program with N. at the start of the summer, so we could have made sure he was going to be well adjusted for 1st grade, but I think he remembers a lot. He just has an issue of getting easily frustrated.( I wonder where that came from...). If he is reminded to take his time, and go slow, then he does fine. He actually has a pretty good knack at math, since we were doing addition today, and he mentioned if he took 2 away from 4, he would have 2. He recently has had issues with not wanting to do his chores, talking back, and not listening, but since I have re-introduced the visual chart, we haven't been having much of it. He has been having issues at bedtime,though, trying to get him to stay in bed, and not calling out. I'm hoping that this is just due to the heat, rather than an issue of his not wanting to go to bed. Things are getting better with N., slowly but surely.
   H. has hit the "terrible twos". He is still a funny, sweet little boy to his parents, it's just that he likes to hit, bite, and through things at N. They play more together, but H. is still a toddler, and follows toddler's rules of possession. Anything he takes a fancy too, it ends up with N. running away from those little chompers. He is responding to time outs though, and the word no. He loves anything to do with art or arts and crafts, loves going for walks and to the park, and really does love to play with N. We have been reading books to him, and we ask him lots of questions about what we see on the pages, and about the story, and for the most part, is getting the concept of actions, story time, and learning new words. We work with some flash cards during the day, and have Brain Quest flash cards for 2-3 year old. It works well, and we have some fun with it too. He still is napping at least an hour and a half every day, and generally is in bed around 8:30 p.m. He knows about the baby, and when we set the bassinet up for baby, he said "baby night-night".  I really hope, but am not counting on, H. taking to the baby. We will see what the future holds.
 Tomorrow we go to Black River Falls to look at houses, get acquainted with the town, and for Matt to visit the office up there. We are meeting my mom to look at the houses, and I'm pretty eager to get this part started. I feel like we are just sitting ducks, knowing we have to move, but not having a house to move into is a scary feeling, especially with what will be three little ones. (I'm also really nervous about N. having to move to a new school, and REALLY sad about losing some really awesome neighbors.) Once we have decided on a home, I think I will feel much more at ease.
  I mentioned that last Tuesday I found out that I can't deliver with my OB that I have seen throughout this pregnancy. Due to my heart disease, and the ICD, I will have to deliver at Meriter in Madison...unless my water is broke and I'm dilated to 4+ centimeters( which I was when I got to the hospital with H.). There is still a good chance that I'm going to be where I want to be, but the uncertainty of the whole situation is stressful. I hate that with the past two pregnancies I have been railroaded by the heart disease into doing things I don't want to do. I am the most stable out of the five of us who have the disease in my family, my device has never delivered a shock, or has it ever really recorded tachycardia. Honestly, I think most of it is a big load of bullshit, and it's just a way for doctors to earn money for their hospitals. Either that, or and, the perinatologist that *should* be delivering my baby doesn't understand this heart disease whatsoever. He, along with another doctor( the other one was a complete dick), stated that I needed to have a maternal echo, a fetal echo(even though they both agreed that there was a very small risk of a structure issue with baby that I don't need to be concerned), genetic counseling at Meriter despite  Matt and I stating that we had been seen by a genetic counselor at UW last year, one who actually was well acquainted with my specific heart disease), and that I would need an epidural, to prevent any episodes...even though, as I had previously stated, I am very stable, and I did not have any pain medications with H.'s birth, and that is how I plan on doing this one.
 Needless to say, I think I'm going to play some Russian roulette when my water breaks, and have Matt drive slowly to the hospital. Thanks for reading my last tirade, it makes me feel a little better, since I'm 33 weeks of pregnancy rage.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I can totally understand why you are upset about the hosptial situation and birthing plan. I would have been the same way. Here's hoping that everything works out the way you'd like.

    Also,Keaton was a biter. He's pretty much grown out of it but now we have Hutt who is a pincher/hiter/thrower. We're discipling the best we can and hoping he too wll grow out of it. This too shall pass....

    ReplyDelete