If anyone knows me, they know I love to garden. This probably comes from parents who had kept a garden from when I was younger, and my grandma that has had a garden from as far back as I can remember. ( In my opinion no one can beat her pickles and her pickled beets!YUM!) Matt's mom has kept a garden since they moved to the farm, so he has knowledge of gardening fairly well too.
I can't begin to describe the satisfaction from growing my own food. In an age of instant gratification, gardening is still something that takes alot of time, dedication, and effort. Knowing where it all came from makes me feel good about what I'm putting in my children's tummies, and the taste is like nothing else! I feel proud that I can feed my family. Since Matt and I have really started to garden to provide food, rather than a hobby, we have become much more dedicated to the garden. We have been cultivating every few days, weeding twice a week, and watering every morning before 8:00 a.m. and after the sun is setting.Our garden usually doesn't start to produce anything until the end of June, however, while Matt and I were inspecting our garden before we started to water, we found these!
 |
| Not quite ready to pick Green Bean |
 |
| Ripe Raspberry |
I also included a picture of our garden. We are currently growing Cucumbers(slicing & pickling), Gourds, Pumpkins, Dill, Romaine lettuce, Various Peppers, Tomatoes (Roma and Cherry), Sugar Snap Peas, Green Beans, and what I think is a mixture of red and russet potatoes. We also have raspberry plants, but those weren't our doing either.
 |
| Our garden |
We aren't to certain about the potatoes, since they are leftovers from last year that were never dug up. Also the pumpkins weren't planned this year at all. That's what happens when you buy local pumpkins, then throw the guts into the garden after carving them. I remember being able to tell that they were baking pumpkins, but we will probably using this years crop for jack o lanterns for the boys this year.
I can't (but I can) wait for the rest of our garden to start producing!
*I went out there the next day, and was able to pick 6 green beans. I would have taken a picture of them, but N. ate them before I could!
I love seeing these pictures! I hope we can get our garden going again next summer!
ReplyDelete