Thursday, June 7, 2012

The First Last Day of School


Today was N.'s last day of Kindergarten. I felt a little sad, especially because last week, while driving home, I realized that this fall, I will be a mother to a 1st grader.  I can't believe he will be six years old this August. Then, this morning, while talking to my brother, he pointed out " This is N.'s first last day of school." Upon hearing that, it really took me back. I remembered the first time I held him, the first time he walked, the first time he got his hair cut and other "firsts" that are rejoiced.With this I am reminded as a mother and parent that there is only more of these bittersweet moments in time with my children that will be cause for celebration, but also with the realization that they are growing up.

I swear I only shed a few tears at N.'s kindergarten celebration when they showed a slide show of pictures from the past year, and had the song "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan.  It made me think of what the next twelve years are going to be like, and how I hope N. can look back and cherish his childhood. It is an amazing journey to raise someone, and I'm glad I am privileged enough to be included.

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet. N has gotten so tall. And handsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had one of those moments again last week where I went " Oh my gosh...I'm going to be a mother to a 1st grader!"

    ReplyDelete